Week 47

We have a flue! Actually, it's a flue liner, not to be confused with the identically named but made of pumice 'flue liner' that was already installed with the chimney went up. All very technical, but for the past few weeks, Dave has been developing the plans to make this thing work. Terry and Josh … Continue reading Week 47

Week 46

Most of the action this week occurred behind the scenes. Lots of planning and sorting and choosing more than cutting, sticking and building. We've chosen a fireplace, paid bills, decided on tiles, placed thermostats, chased electrics, considered ironmongery and built-in furniture, and we started thinking about wardrobe build-ups, kitchen pendants, sofas and curtains. I thought … Continue reading Week 46

Week 44

  The roof is almost finished. Spencer asked me if I was happy with the course of cloaking tiles that will sit between the oak gables below and the roof tiles above. He's added a layer of Welsh slate secured underneath to prevent the roof from wobbling as the oak settles. They'll be mortared in … Continue reading Week 44

Week 42

Roof tiles arrived this week. Spencer and his team used the tile-escalator, or Bumpa, to haul 10,000 tiles up to the roof. That is TEN THOUSAND. A totally bonkers number. We're very happy with the colour. Although we didn't use a huge mix of colours in the end, having gone for mostly Heritage, Michelmersch, they … Continue reading Week 42